Average Roof Replacement Costs by Material
Here are a few average costs for a new roof by different roofing shingles and material types. This example shows the average low and high costs for a new roof on an 1,800 square foot single story home with a low roof pitch and no garage in Austin, TX. You can input your own zip code and home size in the calculator above to get a roof cost estimate for your area.
|1,800 sq. ft Home
|3 Tab Asphalt
Roofing Labor Cost per Square or Square Foot
Labor for roofing projects ranges from $150 to $300 per square or $1.50 to $3 per square foot, depending on factors like the product you’re installing and the conditions of the structure. Labor and overhead usually make up 60% of the project total. For example, if you spend a total of $7,500 on the roof, $4,500 will go toward labor and overhead.
One hundred square feet is considered a roofing square. The per square rate contains all relevant factors:
- The price of the shingles
- Any protective elements (if you live in cold or hot climates)
- Removal of waste
Average Cost of a Roof Replacement by Location
|City or State
||Average Cost Range
||$8,000 – $16,500
||$5,750 – $10,600
||$4,500 – $9,500
||$6,550 – $11,900
||$6,300 – $12,300
||$5,800 – $10,000
||$7,000 – $13,800
||$6,400 – $15,400
||$5,600 – $10,000
When leaks begin it should be repaired or replaced quickly to prevent major interior water damage and mold from growing. The cost to replace the roof on most homes is $4,000 to $10,000, and most spend about $8,000. The cost can be more for larger homes, homes with complex roof designs, or when installing more expensive materials.
Many homes have an asphalt shingle roof, but some have wood, metal, tile, and slate which can be more expensive. Roofing material is estimated by the square, which is equal to 100 square feet. The average roof is 3,000 square feet, or around 30 squares.
Roofing costs above include:
– The cost of roofing material and transportation to/from the work site
– The Labor to remove old roofing
– Installation of the roofing, & clean up.
While useful, the online calculator does not consider:
– Any damaged roofing/structure that needs replacement
– The roofing material quality from various brands
– Geographic location and the affect on price
– Any taxes or permits required to remove and install new roofing
– Any systems on the roof that may need to be replaced …
– if you have standard asphalt shingles and they are 20-25 years old, they are basically near the end of their service life, and you can start looking into replacement options. If you have a flat roof, this time frame can be as short as 10-15 years.
– when your roof continues to be the source of major leaks, despite numerous repairs. This is often true with flat roofs made of EPDM rubber, but can also happen with budget quality composite shingles.
– if you are selling your house and it requires major exterior to improve curb appeal. A roof is one of the most visible parts of the house, and a good looking roof can be a major point of attraction. If you are after curb appeal, there is no need to invest thousands of dollars into a very expensive, high-end material.